Loreuna Market
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum-Site Integration - Redo

2 posters

Go down

Forum-Site Integration - Redo Empty Forum-Site Integration - Redo

Post  Nightstooth Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:29 pm

This follows from the discussion on the current server being down and kinda a bit tempermental at times. I was thinking of attempting to do an adoptables / clickables pets type thing on a forum since I have very, very little talent in coding, but as it seems like I won't be doing this in at least a great while or not at all, I was thinking of adding it here as something to think about for the direction to take Felkyo in.

As I lack a lot of knowledge and skill in coding (I tried some simple coding once for a game on one of those free rpg makers, and it didn't go over that well), it does require a lot of manual maintaince so I doubt this will work with a lot of people on the forums, unless you can code a lot of this into the forums so it's automated or keep up with it with a lot of staff.

Inventory / pet pages - I was just going to make a forum dedicated to this and a thread for each person's pets / items. I was just going to have the images be hosted on something like photobucket since most free forums don't really do uploads for pictures on their servers.

Acquiring pets - Pets won through games and that kind of stuff. Though I was also thinking of having a shop thread where people can order pets, much like the item shops that are currently on these forums, except they aren't customizeable pets. The staff would add the pet /pets that were ordered to that person's inventory thread.

Evolving pets - It'd be impossible to do this with clicking pets so I was thinking of people just buying food and feeding them to a pet to get them to go to their next stage. What I was originally planning was about 6 - 9 different color versions per pet and having each piece of food correspond to a different color version, with perhaps some special holiday versions thrown in there somewhere during the week of that holiday. But I guess probability / chance can be done with this through random number generator websites or statistics programs, if you have one, or making rarer forms cost much more to evolve. I was thinking this can be run just like the shops.

Currency - This forum already has a currency, which simplifies things a lot from the original ideas I had for this since I doubt I could code an automated currency system. Though I think having the option for masks to be earned through contests and the like and maybe some kind of game like the cards and crossword puzzle ideas you posted would be good for those who just want pets and don't really want to talk on the forums that much.

There was probably more to this, but this is what I can remember of it at 1:30 am.
Nightstooth
Nightstooth

Spirit
Fyre Emblem
Pet : Rocky
Masks Masks : 317

Back to top Go down

Forum-Site Integration - Redo Empty Re: Forum-Site Integration - Redo

Post  Ruinily Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Surprise These are some interesting thoughts, though there is a few problems... one is I would struggle without a good programmer, another is I cant really alter the base files of this forum, meaning I couldnt add a database which is usually needed to make the pets. And I also dont get the option to back up the forum, so if it did go down I think it'd all be gone... :/ I dont like adding problems to a good idea, I'd love it if you had an answer to them.
Ruinily
Ruinily
Admin

Female
Ruinily's Emblem
Pet : Blacky
Masks Masks : 1375

https://felkyo.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightstooth Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:36 pm

There's probably not much to do about backing up the forum, unless you make a copy of who has what pets / items / currency on a file on your computer and update it every so often.

I only mentioned programming since these are probably some things that people can program if they're good enough at it. I don't know how hard it would be. I'm not good at programming so I was thinking of how I could do it without the need for programming anything at all. Like the games I was thinking of doing to give out currency and pets - they'd all be things like contests and forum games that can posted to a thread, with the help of photobucket if images are needed. If someone won or bought a pet or item or evolved a pet, it would be manually added to their inventory thread by one of the staff by linking to the images on photobucket or replacing the old image of the pet with a new image of the pet (but obviously the threads have to be made by the staff so members don't go editing it themselves and putting in things that they haven't properly acquired). For what pets there are and what they can evolve into, I was just going to make a forum with threads for each pet in it, much like your Felkyo library.

You could probably convert the crossword and card games to something that can be posted in a thread and maybe have people pm the answer to you or one of the staff for masks or pets, if you don't want it to be a competition to finish it first.

So programming things in isn't really necessary. But it'd be a lot of manual maintaince for the staff to add pets, evolve them, take orders from the shops, remove and add masks to the accounts from buying pets / winning some masks, etc. Most of that kind of stuff on the main site is automated, where as it wouldn't have been if I had tried to do it on a forum without any kind of programming besides bbc code for forum posts. That may be why you may want to look around for another webhost for the main site. I only mention this way of migrating the main site to the forums since the main site has already been on two hosts that turned out to be kinda unstable while the forum host has been stable through it all.

I probably need to find my notes on these, too. I seemed to have misplaced them. I did spend some time on writing it since that was what I wanted to do at the time, but other things got in the way and right now I'm dealing with more pressing concerns than making pets and finishing up my work for it. I'll look more for it when I'm done with my forms.
Nightstooth
Nightstooth

Spirit
Fyre Emblem
Pet : Rocky
Masks Masks : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down